Earlier this month Indianapolis got its first reminder that with winter comes icy roads. Unfortunately because the weather acted so unpredictably the roads were not treated before the ice and sleet began to fall, leading to cars sliding off the roads and into each other. These icy conditions tend to cause car accidents due not to driver error but lack of control. If you or a loved one is injured in a car accident call our top rated Indianapolis car accident lawyers. We will get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries.
According to The National Highway Safety Administration 23% of auto accidents are weather related. The best way to prevent accidents caused by snow or ice is to avoid driving when road conditions are poor. However, we understand that due to the unpredictable and ever changing weather conditions in Indiana many people will be forced to drive in unsafe conditions. Below are some tips from your Indianapolis personal injury lawyers to avoid weather related accidents.
- Slow Down. This may seem obvious, but some people refuse to drive slower even when the roads are covered in ice. Remember, it is always better to take longer to get somewhere than to never make it.
- Make Sure Your Tires Are Properly Inflated. If your tires are not properly and evenly inflated your vehicle will much harder to control. Under or over inflation could lead to your vehicle “pulling” to one side or make it more susceptible to sliding.
- Do Not Slam Your Brakes. Most cars today are equipped with “anti-lock” brakes. These brakes do not function well when roads are slick. To prevent your brakes from locking up drive slower and pump your brakes, don’t slam them.
- Check Your Vehicle. Make sure your lights are all in working condition, your heat is working, and your fluids are all topped off.
- Weigh Down Your Vehicle. This really only applied to you if you drive a rear wheel drive vehicle. Make sure you put sand or something heavy in your trunk or truck bed to allow the wheels propelling you forward to maintain solid contact with the road and decrease sliding.
By following these simple tips your chances of being involved in a weather related car accident this winter will be drastically decreased. If, however, you or a loved one are involved in a car accident call an experienced personal injury lawyer immediately.
Related Links: https://www.newsbarb.com/2014/12/25/home-car-damaged-winter-storm/